Thursday, July 25, 2013

An appreciation of summer...

This is my third summer living here in the central valley and yet it feels like my first. My eyes have been opened to the beauty of summer, living among the agricultural land.
My first two summers I was in shock as the common 100+ temperatures were the norm and the hottest time of day was mid-afternoon and held into the evening. I had to alter my perceptions and get outside in the cool of the morning before hiding inside with the a/c cranked for the remainder of the day.
My first summer here was spent in hiding inside or camped out in the few pools that my few friends had.
My second summer was spent again hiding from the heat and the sun as I had a new baby to protect. One whose skin I knew nothing of caring for so I chose to simply hide it.
This summer is different. I feel like a confident mom. And a confident resident of the central valley. I've learned much about the health of the rays on our skin and how to protect ourselves naturally, avoiding the chemicals in common sunscreen.
I've more friends and more knowledge of the area, traveling here, there and everywhere to water parks, splash pads, and pools to beat the heat and enjoy the outdoors. Our $9.88 investment from Walmart is paying off in our backyard as my daughter splashes almost daily in her wading pool and the sprinklers.
And as I drive through the back roads on our journeys I bask in the beauty of the summer. Where once I saw dead grass covering the hills from the heat, I now see the lush green of the fields ripe with harvest. I see corn fields, tomato fields and nut trees all green and basking in the sun's rays. The smell of the warm earth fills my senses and my body has learned to cope with the rising temperatures, opting for windows rolled down in the car to the air conditioning cranked.
Each season has its own beauty and I never much appreciated summer until now. In the cold of winter we crave this season of warmth. And while I look ahead and feel the season drawing to an end I appreciate this season and thank God for His creativity.
Every good and perfect gift comes from above...and this summer is a gift.
 The fields ripe for the harvest coming.

 Cruising behind a tractor...no rush.

No comments:

Post a Comment