Monday, July 8, 2013

Life Overhaul

Day 1-
Today our family has begun what we're calling our "life overhaul". After simply existing in a state of mediocrity for awhile now we've decided that we are no longer going to allow life to pass by without making the most of it.
So after talking it over with my husband for quite some time, we've decided to jump in and give it our all for the next 30 days, and hopefully thereafter. At the end of the 30 days we'll reassess where we're at and what we'd like to continue to do and what we'd like to do differently.
The reason why I'm calling it a "life overhaul" is because these decisions to live differently are going to permeate every aspect of our lives.
For starters we've committed to the following:
-Eating a Paleo diet, consisting of grass-fed meat, vegetables, fruits, nuts & seeds
-Exercising multiple days each week
-We will watch no television and limit our screen time on our computers and phones
-Create and commit to a schedule and routine for ourselves and our daughter
-Live each day to the fullest, making the most of every opportunity and relationship we encounter
-Live on a budget by planning out meals and expenses

Personally this means that my days will be more organized and filled with meal planning & creation, managing my home within a schedule and making it a more peaceful place to be, choosing the best foods for me and my family and using our bodies daily as we get out and are more active.
You see, our evenings had become filled with finding something to watch on Netflix (instant streaming is dangerous!) after dinner and finally rushing to get ready for and in bed. There has been little structure and routine for our sweet daughter, almost 2 years old, and making our evenings and also our days slightly chaotic. She resists routine and has been fighting bedtime, thus staying up later and later, waking up in the morning later, napping during the day later and thus the cycle continues.
For me I am also doing the 40 day Love Dare challenge for my marriage. Today I'm on Day 3 and it's helping me to simply open my eyes to the needs of my husband and our marriage and improve and be proactive where I can.
I want to live my life proactively. That doesn't mean that I want my days to be filled with running around and crazy busyness. Quite the opposite. I want to live intentionally, making choices whether to go to playdates or to stay home and have periods of downtime and rest. I want to nourish and care for my body - afterall we only get one! I don't want to feel like a slug after eating a meal or at the end of each day, to have unused energy. I want to crawl into bed each night utterly spent, knowing that I truly lived that day.
I credit a friend of mine who recently posted that her family does not own a TV. They are simply too busy living life that they wouldn't have time to watch one even if they did!
That post opened my eyes and encouraged me to take a look at those friends that I admire for the way they live their lives and love their families. They are intentional and their lives are beautiful. I want mine to be the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment